- Bachelor of Science - Physics (1987-90), from University of Kerala, India.
- Master of Science - Physics with specialisation in Applied Electronics, (1990-93), from University of Kerala, India.
- Ph.D. - Space Physics Laboratory (SPL) 1993-97, from Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) and University of Kerala.
- Post Doctoral Research: Center for Clouds, Chemistry and Climate (C4), (January 1998 to Nov 2000) from Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, USA.
Honours & Awards
- ASSOCIATE (2001-2005), Indian Academy of Sciences (IAS), Bangalore, INDIA.
- START Young Scientist Award 2001 by START (sponsored by ESSP, IGBP, WRCP etc), International START Secretariat, USA.
- INSA Young Scientist Medal 2002, Indian National Science Academy, INDIA.
- WMO Young Scientist Award 2002, World Meteorological Organisation, GENEVA.
- SWARNA JAYANTI FELLOW Award 2006, Department of Sci. & Tech. (DST), INDIA.
- Asian Young Aerosol Scientist Award 2007, Asian Aerosol Research Assembly (AARA), Japan.
- SCOPUS Young Scientist Award in Earth Sciences, 2007, ELSEVIER (UK).
- PRL Research Award (2007) by Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Dept. of Space, Government of India.
- Rajib Goyal Prize in Physical Sciences, 2008, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra.
- SHANTI SWARUP BHATNAGAR PRIZE, CSIR, 2009 (highest Science/Engineering Award in India).
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, India
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy (INSA), India
- Fellow, National Academy of Sciences India (NASI), India
- Editor's Citation for Excellence in Refereeing in Geophysical Research Letters (GRL) by American Geophysical Union (AGU), 2009.
- TWAS Prize 2011, The Academy of the Third World (TWAS), Italy.
- ISBRI Fellow, Indo-Swiss Bilateral Research Initiative (ISBRI), SWITZERLAND.
- NASA Senior Fellow, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, USA
- Laed Author, Chapter-7, IPCC AR5, United Nations, Geneva.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research (American Geophysical Union).
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Atmospheric Environment, ELSEVIER.
- Associate Editor, CURRENT SCIENCE (India)
- Member, Haagen-Smit Prize 2012 Selection Committee, ELSEVIER
- Member, Scientific Committee (SC), International Geosphere Biosphere program (IGBP), Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Sweden.
- Member, Steering Committee, Aerosols, Clouds, Precipitation, Climate (ACPC), which is a IGBP and World Climate Research Program (WCRP) effort, USA.
- Principal Investigator in India, Joint Indo-US project "Ganges Valley Aerosol Experiment (GVAX)"
- Member, "Core Science Team", Indian Satellite for Aerosols and Gases, Small satellite program of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- Co-Principal Investigator, Multi-Angle Polarization Imager (MAPI), Small satellite of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- Adjunct Professor, Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES), Autonomous Institute under Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India.
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) (2005-2007), Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES), Autonomous Institute under Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India.
- Chief Mission Scientist, National Aircraft Campaign, Integrated Campaign for Aerosols, Gases and Radiation Budget (ICARB, a multi-platform, multi-institutional experiment by ISRO).
- Best Paper award, National Space Science Symposium, Physical Research Laboratory, Ahemedabad, 1997.
- Certificate of Merit from Swadeshi Science Movement, Cochi during Aryabhateeyam, 1999.
- Post Doctoral Fellowship (1998-2000) at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, USA.
- Co-convener, National Space Science Symposium (NSSS), 2004, Kottayam, Kerala.
- Co-convener, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS) conference 2005, Singapore.
- Member, Technical Programs Committee, Asian Aerosol Conference (AAC) 2005, Mumbai, India.
- Member, Program Committee, Remote Sensing of the Atmosphere and Clouds, SPIE International symposium at Goa, 13-17 November, 2006.
- Member, Departmental Promotion Committee (Sci. "D" to "E") of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- Member, committee for the assessment of environmental impact of Mass Rapid Transport Rail (METRO rail) project at Bangalore, India (2005-2007).
- Chairman and member of board of examiners for evaluation and conducting open defense of Ph. D theses (Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay, Kerala University, India and Cochin University of Science & Technology, India.
- Member, board of examiners for setting question papers and evaluation of M.Sc. and M. Tech for Cochin University of Science & Technology, India.
- Member, Team of Observers from India, US-German Science & Technology Forum Meeting at University of California, Irwin, USA during June 2002 (deputed by DST, New Delhi).
- Member-Secretary (2001-2002), National Committee on Aerosol Radiation Budget Studies (ARBS) (constituted by Indian Space Research Organization HQ).
- Member, Working Group-II, Indian Space Research Organization - Geosphere Biosphere Programme (ISRO-GBP) (2001-2007).
- Member, Working Group, Environmental Monitoring Research Centre (EMRC), India Meteorological Department (IMD), New Delhi, India.
- Member, Working Group, Hyperpsectral Signature Database Management System, NRDMS, Dept. of Sci. & Tech., New Delhi, India.
- Secretary, Indian Meteorological Society, Bangalore Chapter, India (2003-2006).
- Reviewer to funding agencies in India (ISRO, DST and CSIR) and abroad (NASA, NSF Israel Science Foundation and UNEP).
- Reviewer to 25 international journals [Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR), Geophysical Research Letters (GRL), IEEE Transactions on Geo Science & Remote Sensing, IEEE Geo Science & Remote Sensing Letters, Optical Engineering (USA), Current Science (IASc, India), Proc. Acad. Sci. (IASc, India), Mausam (IMD, India), Annales Geophysicae (EGS), TELLUS (Sweden), Atmospheric Environment (Elsevier Science), International J. of Remote Sensing, Atmospheric Research (Elsevier Science), J. Applied and Theoretical Climatology].
- Junior Research Fellow (JRF), Space Physics Laboratory, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Trivandrum (1993-1998).
- Post Doctoral Research Physicist, University of California, USA (May 1998-Nov 2000).
- Assistant Professor, Centre for Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (December 2000-November 2006).
- Associate Professor, Centre for Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (December 2006-February 2011).
- Professor, Centre for Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (March 2011-present).
Research work of S.K. Satheesh discussed in Media/News
- Nature News, "Sooty air sweeps away clouds", Nature, doi:10.1038 /news000504-12, 2000.
- Science Magazine, In perspectives, "Absorbing Phenomena", Science, 288: 989-990, DOI: 10.1126/science.288.5468.989, 12 May 2000.
- The HINDU, India's National News Paper, "Aerosols polluting skies over Indian Ocean?", Science & Tech section, May 06, 2000.
- STRATEGIAN, The Strategic Guide to Quality Information in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Medicine, Physics, and Psychology, Feature Articles, May 1-7, 2000 (http://strategian.com).
- The HINDU, India's National News Paper, "Sooty air sweeps away clouds", Science & Tech section, May 11, 2000.
- Environment News Service (ENS), "Soot Traps Sun's Heat", 16 May 2000 (http://www.ens-newswire.com).
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography News Letter, "Indian Ocean pollution substantially cuts sunlight reaching Earth's surface", 03 May, 2000 (http://scrippsnews.ucsd.edu).
- NASA Earth Observatory News, "Research Highlight Archive", May 2000 (http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom).
- Rediff News, "Carbon dioxide has competition in global warming game", June 12, 2000 (http://rediff.com).
- FRONTLINE, India's National Magazine, "The play of environmental politics", volume 19, issue 20, October 12 - 25, 2002.
- Chandigarh Tribune, "Factors controlling monsoon discussed", November 10, 2002.
- University of Missouri-St. Louis Student News Paper, "The importance of being dusty", Oct 06, 2003 (http://media.www.thecurrentonline.com/media/storage /paper304/news/2003/10/06/Opinions).
- Nature News, "Climatologists seek clear view of Asia's smog", Nature 434, 128, doi:10.1038/434128a; 9 March 2005
- The HINDU, India's National News Paper, "Pollution, aerosols, and the climate", Leader Page Articles, Monday, Sep 04, 2006.
- Nature Geoscience "News and Views", "Aerosols above Clouds", Nature Geoscience, 2, March 2009.
The following two articles were selected as American Geophysical Union (AGU) Highlights
- S.K. Satheesh and J. Srinivasan, Enhanced aerosol loading over Arabian Sea during pre-monsoon season: Natural or Anthropogenic?, Geophys. Res. Lett., 10.1029 / 2002GL015687, 21 September 2002 (AGU highlight).
- S.K. Satheesh and D. Lubin, Short wave versus long wave radiative forcing due to aerosol over Indian Ocean: Role of sea-surface winds, Geophys. Res. Lett., 30 (13): Art. No. 1695 JUL 9 2003 (AGU highlight).
The following review article was listed under the hottest articles section of Science Direct ('hottest' as defined in www.sciencedirect.com)
- S.K. Satheesh and K. Krishna Moorthy, Radiative Effects of Natural Aerosols: A Review, Atmos. Environ., 39 (11): 2089-2110 APR 2005..
Collaborations, which led to at least one journal publication only are listed
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, USA.
- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Maryland USA.
- NASA Langley Research Center, USA.
- Max Plank Institute for Chemistry, Mainz, Germany.
- Laboratoire Image et Ville, Strasbourg, France.
- National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado, USA.
- University of Miami, Florida, USA.
- Laboratoire d?Optique Atmospherique (LOA), Lille, FRANCE.
- University of Bern, Bern, SWITZERLAND.
- Research Institute for Applied Mechanics, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, JAPAN.
Two students completed doctoral degree (PhD) under Prof. Satheesh's supervision and are currently pursuing post doctoral research at University of Hampton, USA and Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), USA respectively. Four PhD students are currently doing PhD under his supervision. Five students completed M.Sc (Engg) degree and are pursuing PhD abroad including one student at Harward University. In addition, more than 20 students carried out B.E./B.S./B.Tech/M.Sc./M.Tech projects in this lab under the supervision of Prof. Satheesh. Prof. Satheesh has conducted several training programs to provide training on aerosols and radiative transfer models to PhD students in various institutions/Universities in India. Several of these students later became reputed scientists in aerosol and its impact assessment using raditive transfer models. Prof. Satheesh organised two training programs on satellite remote sensing jointly with Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and National Aeronautical and Space Administration (NASA), where scientists from ISRO and NASA provided training on satellite remote sensing to PhD students, young scientists and University lecturers
Invited Seminars ( in India and Abroad )
- Space Physics Laboratory (SPL) of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), December 1998: An Aerosol Model for Natural and Anthropogenic Aerosols over Tropical Indian Ocean derived from INDOEX data.
- Space Physics Laboratory (SPL) of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) on 25th March 1999: Aerosol Radiative Forcing over the Tropical Indian Ocean.
- Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore on December 20, 1999: Observational Determination of Aerosol Solar Radiative Forcing in the Tropics.
- SERC school on Mathematical Modeling of Air Pollution, at UGC-DST Centre at Bangalore University on June11, 2001. (1) Atmospheric Aerosols and (2) Indian Ocean Experiment.
- 68th Annual Meeting of Indian Academy of Sciences, at Panjab Univeristy, Chandigarh, Novmeber, 2002: Enhanced Aerosol Loading over Arabian Sea during Pre-monsoon Season: Natural or Anthropogenic?
- Department of Atmospheric Sciences, Cochin University of Science and Technology, 13th December 2001: Aerosols and Climate
- Department of Atmospheric Sciences, Cochin University of Science and Technology, December 2002: Aerosols as Cloud Condensation Nuclei.
- Department of Physics, Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur, on 6th February 2003: Recent Advances in Aerosol Science in India.
- National MST Radar Facility, Gadanki, Tirupati, Winter School, 2002: Natural and Anthropogenic Aerosols over India.
- SERC School on Mathematical Modelling of Air Pollution, at UGC-DST Centre at Bangalore University on 02nd and 3rd December 2003: Atmospheric Aerosols and Climate
- PES College of Engineering, Mandya, 28th January 2004: Aerosols over Indian Region
- Fourth Winter School on Indian MST Radar, 24 January 2004: Measurement of Aerosols
- Workshop on Tropical Atmospheric Chemistry and Aerosols, Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, 25-26 March 2004: Spatial Heterogeneity and Temporal Variations of Aerosols over Arabian Sea
- UGC-Academic Staff College, University of Kerala, Kariavattom Campus, Thiruvananthapuram,14th February 2005: Remote sensing of aerosols using LIDAR.
- ACTE-QIP STTP: GIS and RS applications in Environmental Management, Center for Contemporary Studies Seminar Hall Complex 'Remote sensing of Atmospheric Aerosols' on 14th August 2005: Remote sensing of the atmosphere using lasers
- College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram, 24th April, 2007: Application of lasers in atmospheric remote sensing
- Bangalore University, 15 January 2007: Air Pollution and its impact on environment.
- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, 02 April 2008, "Climate implications of elevated aerosols layers over India".
- University of Alabama, Huntsville, USA (10th April 2008), "Excess absorption by aerosols over India".
- Argonne National Laboratory, USA (17th April 2008), "Results from ICARB Field Campaign".
- Physical Research Laboratory, 12 August 2008: Exploring the Impact of Aerosols on Regional Climate: Elevated warming or Surface Cooling?
- Laboratoire Image et Ville, Strasbourg, France (02 September 2008), "Observations relavant to air quality studies at Bangalore, India"
- Max Plank Institute of Chemistry, 04 September 2008: "Excess absorption by elevated aerosol layers over India: Climate implications"
- Argonne National Laboratory, USA (Jan 2010), "Field Campaigns in India".
- Annual Meeting of Indian Academy of Sciences, PRL, Ahmedabad, November, 2011
- Kerala Science Congress 2011, Rubber Board, Kottayam.
Convened/Chaired National or International Conferences
Collaborations, which led to at least one journal publication only are listed
- Co-convener, National Space Science Symposium (NSSS), February 17-20, 2004, Kottayam, Kerala.
- Co-convener, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS) conference, 20-24 June, 2005, Singapore.
- Member, Technical Programs Committee, Asian Aerosol Conference (AAC) 2005, 13-16 December 2005, Mumbai, India
- Session Chairman, Post campaign meeting of national ICARB field experiment, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Trivandrum, 10 October 2006.
- Member, Program Committee, Remote Sensing of the Atmosphere and Clouds, SPIE International symposium at Goa, 13-17 November, 2006
- Course Director, International workshop on "MODIS Geophysical products & their applications", 12-15 may 2008, IIRS Dehradun.
- Member, Technical Programs Committee, Indian Aerosol Science & Technology Association (IASTA) meeting, March 2010, Kolkatta, India.
- Convener, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS) conference, July, 2010, Hyderabad, India.
- Convener, Parallel Session-1, National Space Science Symposium, 2012.
- Chair, AGU Meeting, San Francisco, December, 2012.